In my last update I said I got a new Da Vinci 1.0A and right out of the box it was awesome......well this has not changed but, as is my nature, I have started to tinker with it.

DaVinci

The very first thing done, which everyone with a Da Vinci printer seems to do, was the internal tool brackets. These are found on thingiverse and my thanks go to the user theaguie for designing them. There is a lot of extra space inside the shell of a Da Vinci printer and these brackets are designed to attach (by friction) to the internal walls. This allows some of the extra space to used to hold your printing tools and glue stick.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:694398

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:702433

DaVinci ToolsInside

these were my first prints (not counting my normal 20x20x20 cube) and came out perfectly. In fact my 20x20x20 cube did too which considering all I did was take the printer out of the box, remove the packing and power it up was amazing.

20x20x20 on DaVinci

This printer comes with a glue stick and the idea is you put a thin coat of glue on the glass bed to help the ABS stick. While this worked perfectly for me using the filament that was supplied (Neutral ABS) with the printer I found that cleaning off the glue between each print was a little bit of a hassle. In steps an alternative......BuildTak

I found this a little expensive but thought I would give it a go since it seems like a great alternative to the glue (difficult to clean), hairspray (messy on other parts of printer) and tapes (difficult to do on a Da Vinci as the bed is not removable). It took no time at all to install but did mean I needed to add a z-axis offset to take into consideration both the additional thickness of the sheet on the build plate and the tendency for it to stick too well. Yes, you read that right it can stick too well and I almost destroyed my first print trying to get it off the plate.

I measured the BuildTak sheet thickness at 0.4mm and added this to my slicer (Simpliy3D) as a z-axis offset. I need to do it at the slicer since the Da Vinci has no menu that always you to modify the internal (produced by the auto calibrate) z-offset. The 0.4mm made a first layer that I thought was a little too squashed and the resulting print was very hard to release from the bed (pliers were used ;) ). I upped this 0.45mm in the slicer and it's been perfect since. I did however find that it is best to release the build from the plate while the plate is still warm, once cooled the stick is even firmer and can present a problem (reheating the bed does work though).

So what's next for my Da Vinci.........well I'm now looking into the use of 3rd party filament since XYZPrinting filament, although good quality, comes in 600g proprietary cartridges and is somewhat expensive.